Wall stencils provide an interesting look to any part of your home. You can use stencil art as accents or borders on your kitchen or any room. In fact, stencils are the ideal alternative to wallpapers. You have the option to apply the kind of design or color combination that you prefer. However, you need to make sure that you follow the proper application procedure to make sure that the stencils for walls will look perfect.
How To Create Wall Stencils: Step By Step Procedure
If you wish to give your room a unique look, you should consider using stencil art. The following steps can help you have the ease in using spray paint stencils.
- Prepare the materials that you will need for this project. The essential tools for stenciling include a chalk, stencil adhesive, ruler, stencil brushes, level, kitchen towels, and a palette.
- Clean the area where you intend to apply stencil art. Make sure that there is no flaking or loose pain on the surface. If you think that the area needs a fresh coat of paint, allow the surface to dry well. When defining a border or area, mark the area by using a chalk. You can also use a ruler and a level to ensure a straight mark on the wall.
- Secure the back portion of the stencil by using stencil adhesives. Press the adhesive firmly against the portion that you marked. Start spraying at the least noticeable section in the room.
- Then, pour some stencil paint onto the palette. Dip the sponge lightly into the paint. You can wipe off the excess paint with a kitchen towel. You should try to dot the paint gently, layer by layer, until you have achieved the desired color. If you plan to use multiple colors, wait for the first coating to dry before applying the second color. Make sure that you start painting with the lightest shade. Wash the stencil with warm, soapy water as you change the paint color and when the project is complete.
Airbrush Stencils: Essential Steps and Tips
Airbrushing is one of the methods you can use in applying stencils to walls. This technique produces amazing effects. You can blend the colors and create a fine texture by forcing paint out of a nozzle because of compressed air. Check out these steps on how you can use this medium in applying stencil on your wall.
- This project requires you to a few materials such as the airbrush gun, compressor, airbrush paint for walls, hose, paper, stencils, mask, and safety goggles.
- Place the stencil on the wall by using tape. Cover the edges of the stencil to prevent mess or over sprayed portions. For sharper edges, you will have to press down the ends of the stencil.
- Hold the airbrush gun the way you hold a pen. Then, turn the compressor on and make it a point to depress the trigger when airbrushing.
- Push the trigger down to release air, and push it back to release the paint. You may pull back the trigger for more supply of paint, or pull it forward to reduce the amount of paint.
- You can try practicing the application of paint on a piece of paper, and consider applying different distances, colors and pressures. This way, you can come up with the preferred effect. When you spray at a far distance, the paint will appear less defined , and it can cover a great surface area. Try to test each paint color on paper, so you can be certain that the color is right. Moreover, this can help you determine if the airbrush gun is functioning properly. Allow the paint to dry on your practice area, so you can find out if you have obtained the kind of color or shade that you want.
- Start spraying on the outer portion of the stencil and try to work your way into more shading and detail when necessary. Build up the color until you have achieved the perfect, even tone. When shading, move the color across the stencil, and apply slowly from the exterior portion. You may apply additional coats for dark shades, depending on your ideal color quality.
Tips and Advice On How To Prevent Obstacles in Stenciling
Stencil art requires the right application of paint. Make sure that you avoid applying too much paint on the brush to prevent it from bleeding under the stencil. Excess paint will also make your work appear unsightly and messy.
Practice on white paper before you proceed to painting on the wall, particularly if you have no experience in using an airbrushing tool. Then, use safety devices such as goggles and mask to protect yourself from toxic fumes or fine mist produced when using the airbrush gun. You should also cover surrounding areas with cloth, so these would not be painted accidentally.
Typically, it will take you a few hours to stencil an entire wall depending on the size of the room. Before you start applying stencils, you need to prepare the wall by making it free from loose paint or uneven surface. With the right preparation and application of paint, you can obtain excellent results from this project.
Plaid Handmade Charlotte Laser Stencils, Moroccan TileVictorian Baroque Wall & Floor stencil – 7.5 mil standardWall Stencil Marrakech Trellis – Lg – Reusable stencils for DIY decorDeco Art Americana Decor Stencil, Brocade MotifCrafters Workshop Template, 12 by 12-Inch, RosettaLarge Wall Damask Stencil Faux Mural Design #1007 13Moroccan Wall and Floor Stencil – 7.5 mil standardScroll Wall and Floor Stencil – 7.5 mil standard
Easy Related Posts
Make your knitting more efficient, comfortable and beautiful as you master six valuable methods and ...read more
Torch-Fired Precious Metal Clay Class
Class Description Fine silver jewelry is yours for the making with precious metal clay and a ...read more
Essential Seed Bead Techniques
Join jewelry designer Leslie Rogalski as she shares five foundational seed bead techniques to help ...read more
Drawing with Colored Pencil Classes
Select the class you are interested, then click to see the video and learn more ...read more